Healthy Holiday Eating Guide Part 3: Creating Healthy Habits
Here we go!!!:
FIND YOUR MOTIVATION
Why do you want to make a change?
How will this change affect your life on a daily basis?
• How do you want to feel when you look in the mirror?
• How do you want to feel when you put on a pair of jeans?
• How do you want to feel when you wake up in the morning?
• How do you want to feel when you are playing with your kids in the park?
• How do you want to feel in the gym?
SET A GOAL
The goal should be SMART Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Timely
• Write it down.
• Put it where you look at it everyday!
Most people need someone other than themselves to hold them accountable
• Connect with an accountability partner
• Hire a coach
• Enlist the help of your spouse (could be tricky, make sure you won’t be upset with them when they insist on holding you accountable)
FACILITATE IT - DON’T LEAVE IT TO CHANCE
• Plan your meals
• Write down a shopping list
• Make time to eat your meals even if you have to schedule it
• Pack your snacks and lunch to avoid temptation at work
• Eat a snack before going to a restaurant so that you aren’t so hungry that you make off plan choices
• Eat before going to a party that will have unhealthy food choices
CHASE THE WAGON
• If you fall off the wagon, don’t lose sight of it
• No matter how many times you’ve tried and fallen off before, that doesn’t matter
• Don't beat yourself up
• Don't let one slip up convince you to give up
• Get up, dust yourself off and chase that wagon down and hop back on