With The Hilmandolars
Meat and veggies, along with a quality fat source, coffee, and water is my usual breakfast. I could eat and drink this combo every morning for months and be satisfied. My 2 boys and wife on the other hand tend to enjoy a little variety with their morning meals, so I started playing around with other options that eggs, sausage, and veggies. Power Cakes! are my attempt to mix up our morning breakfast selection while keeping it clean.
After testing out clean versions of different starchy breakfast options, I think we found a winner with this recipe for Power Cakes! In all honesty, every time I make these I adjust the ingredients, so feel free to play around, see what works for you, have fun, and enjoy!
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups coconut milk
1. Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, and cook 'em up (bake, boil, or nuke).
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking I like to combine the eggs, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
*blend them with a whisk, blender, you get the idea!
3. Melt the butter and leave off by the side.
4. Leave the coconut milk alone for now *note-you can sub milk of your choice (We use whole milk when coconut milk is not available).
5. Once the sweet potatoes are finished, add them to the rest of the mixture - you may want to peel if mixing by hand.
6. Keep mixing :)
7. Add in the melted butter - this is going to help soften up the mix.
8. Heat up your cooking surface of choice to a low to medium setting.
9. Add in the coconut milk - I left this for last as I have found that 2 cups may be too much. You can reduce the amount of milk, or add a little extra protein powder, your choice :).
10. Pour the mixture on your cooking surface, cook to your liking (4 flips tops), have fun, and enjoy!
If you are used to cooking/baking with more conventional ingredients, you may find that the consistency of the Power Cakes is very "delicate". Lots of finesse with these bad boys!
And oh yeah, butter is your friend... we use a good amount of butter on the cooking surface when making these guys.
DO NOT TOP WITH SUGARY NONSENSE!! Top with butter and/or cinnamon! :)
And yeah, about adding in that milk... If you pre-measure and pour a little too much, that's okay!
Have fun and let me know how they turn out!
Group Class Programming for Friday, November 30, 2018: